Lionel Messi, the captain of Argentina's World Cup-winning team, has been awarded FIFA men's player of the year. Meanwhile, Alexia Putellas from Spain, who was the recipient of the Ballon d'Or award last year, has been named women's player of the year by FIFA. Messi, who is 35 years old, played a crucial role in Argentina's victory over France in the World Cup 2022 final, scoring two goals before his team won in a penalty shootout. Prior to the Qatar tournament, Messi was among the leading favourites with soccer Betway to emerge among the top scorers.
During the ceremony at Paris's Salle Pleyel on Monday, Messi, who was seated beside his Paris Saint-Germain teammate Kylian Mbappe, expressed his delight at winning the award, stating that it was an honour to receive it after such an incredible year. Mbappe, who was also nominated for the award, scored a hat-trick in the World Cup final, but Messi's victory overshadowed his achievement.
Messi thanked his coach Lionel Scaloni and his teammates, acknowledging that he would not have been able to achieve this feat without them. He also spoke about how it was a dream come true for him and expressed his gratitude for being able to realize it, acknowledging that it was a rare accomplishment for any player.
FIFA's Best Football Awards saw Lionel Messi's fellow Argentinians, Lionel Scaloni and Emiliano Martinez, being honored with the Coach of the Year and Keeper of the Year awards, respectively.
Meanwhile, England's successful Women's Euro 2022 campaign was also recognized as Mary Earps won Keeper of the Year, and Sarina Wiegman was named the Best Coach for leading the team. Four players from England's team, Beth Mead, Lucy Bronze, Leah Williamson, and Keira Walsh, were included in the World XI. With the FIFA Women’s World Cup set for July this year, Betway will have all the matches available for betting.
The Puskas Prize for the year's best goal was awarded to Marcin Oleksy, a Polish amputee who scored a stunning acrobatic volley for Warta Poznan against Stal Rzeszow.
Messi has now won the Best FIFA Men's Player award for the second time. FIFA established this award in 2016 after separating from the Ballon d'Or organized by France Football. The winners of this award are selected through a voting process that involves national team coaches and captains, journalists, and fans. Messi's achievement in leading Argentina to win the World Cup was recognized by this award, marking a significant milestone in his already illustrious career, mainly spent playing for Barcelona. Messi is set to lead PSG in pursuing their first-ever European Champions League title, and Betway has markets for all upcoming UCL and league matches.
Here is the full list of winners of the Best FIFA Awards 2022:
- The Best FIFA Women's Player: Alexia Putellas (Spain and FC Barcelona Femení)
- The Best FIFA Men's Player: Lionel Messi (Argentina and Paris Saint-Germain FC)
- The Best FIFA Women's Goalkeeper: Mary Earps (England and Manchester United WFC)
- The Best FIFA Men's Goalkeeper: Emiliano Martínez (Argentinian and Aston Villa FC)
- The Best FIFA Women's Coach: Sarina Wiegman (England Women's National Team)
- The Best FIFA Men's Coach: Lionel Scaloni (Argentina Men's National Team)
- The FIFA Puskás Award: Marcin Oleksy (Poland) scored a stunning acrobatic volley for Warta Poznań against Stal Rzeszow.
- The FIFA Fair Play Award: Luka Lochoshvili (Georgia - He has played for both Wolfsberger AC and US Cremonese)
- The FIFA Fan Award: Argentina Fans