Roulette is a fun and straightforward game that can earn huge rewards if played using the right strategies and high stakes. However, the game's most challenging yet crucial part is understanding the betting options. The betting option you select significantly affects your winning odds and payouts. Players need to understand common roulette bet types. In this guide, we explore various types of bets you can make and the payouts that relate to each betting option.
Inside bets are wagers placed inside the rectangle on a specific number or multiple numbers. Although inside bets are riskier, they are incredibly lucrative and can result in payouts of up to 35:1, if you are lucky, you could get a considerable profit from a small bet amount. Inside bets are commonly referred to as the high-risk-high-reward bets and include the following:
- Straight Bet - This bet covers a single number and is the most lucrative roulette bet. For this bet, you can bet up to the table maximum of that specific number, and if the ball lands on that number, you get a payout of 35:1. The odds of guessing the correct number is one in thirty-seven or thirty-eight, making it an extremely risky bet with odds of about 2.5%.
- Split Bet - This bet covers two numbers and has a payout of 17:1
- Street Bet - Also known as a steam or trio bet, this bet allows you to wage on multiple numbers, usually three, at once. If the ball lands on any numbers, you receive a payout of 11:1.
- Other inside bets include the corner bet, five number bet, line bet, and the snake bet.
Outside bets involve placing the chip on the outer part of the roulette table. These bets have a high hit frequency, meaning they are easier to win but result in lower payouts. Popular outside bets include:
- Red or Black - This bet is the simplest and an excellent choice for novice players because it involves betting on whether the ball will land in a red or black position. The payout is 1:1.
- Odd or Even - In this bet, you stake on whether the ball will land on an even or odd number. The zero or double zero do not count, and the house wins wherever the ball lands on either. The payout is 1:1.
- Other outside bets include High or Low Bet, which has a payout of 1:1, Dozens bet, and Columns bet with a payout of 2:1, respectively.
Some roulette variants, like french roulette, have special bets like La Partage and En Prison. The advantage of these special bets is that they drop the house edge to around 1.35%.
Which is the best roulette bet?
Roulette is a game of chance; therefore, no bet guarantees you a win. However, if you are a new player, it is safer to try the outside bets until you understand the game or get a grip of its randomness. The inside bets are ideal if you are looking for a thrill.