The Reality of Racism
"He was born in Italy. He grew up two hours from Milan in a little town named Concesio, taken in by a white Italian couple when he was 3 years old. Balotelli’s birth parents are immigrants from Ghana, and although he looks like them, he sounds like his provincial neighbors, speaking with the well-known Brescian accent… An old underground cartoon sums up the local attitude. It shows a deep trench at the edge of Northern Italy, with a clear message: Let’s get rid of the Africans."
Whether through oversight or sheer indifference, there’s a tendency in soccer to minimize the significance of racism. Sure, we constantly see headlines outlining the latest incidents, and of course, there are those journalists, fans and players who refuse to let the issue rest, but for every Kevin-Prince Boateng or Mario Balotelli who makes a stand publicly, there are countless other members of the community who unwittingly rationalize bigotry.
"Those fans aren’t representative of the fan-base."
"Every community has a few idiots."
"You wouldn’t understand, it’s a cultural issue."
While each of those statements may be true, they nevertheless downplay how each incident is indicative of social trends. Are those Ultras who use Nazi-insignia part of a fringe group outnumbered by the perfectly reasonable members of the fan sections? Of course. Does their willingness to show their political allegiances in the terraces hint at changing cultural realities? Definitely.
Unfortunately, most works on the topic of racism in football begin and end in the stadium, and rely on simple assumptions as explanations. The number of Neo-Nazis in the fan group is small. Let’s ban them from the stadium, and we’ll have fixed the problem. But the problem goes beyond the pitch, into the homes of every ethnic minority who deals with the stresses of discrimination on a daily basis.
Which is why Wright Thompson’s recent piece investigating the root of racism in Italian soccer is so significant. From sitting with Ultras who still revere Mussolini, cringing under a variety of curse words and Nazi chants thrown towards African players, speaking with Africans stranded in Italy pursuing long impossible careers in soccer, discussing the importance of a new Italian cabinet member, an immigrant from Africa, to the role of nascent political parties and unemployment trends, Thompson tells a complicated story, but one that must be read.
The roots of racism are bubbling to the surface; it’s time we acknowledged them. [Posted by Maxi]
- bubbles-poison-and-stars likes this
- fingertipfeel likes this
- shyyridd reblogged this from cooljaycookies
- abaffledkyogre likes this
- rustycol likes this
- pouty-brat likes this
- lovereadingreadingismylife reblogged this from longreads-cf
- lovereadingreadingismylife likes this
- cestlamoii likes this
- iordikachu reblogged this from winnerhofer-christof
- winnerhofer-christof reblogged this from afootballreport and added:
- longreads-cf reblogged this from afootballreport
- kicksanddopeshityabish likes this
- tyushokigyotushin likes this
- jellyfranko reblogged this from afootballreport
- mrsnicegaius likes this
- fiveblackpearls likes this
- mylovesandlikes reblogged this from drtgif
- death-knight-dubaku reblogged this from pizza-ranch-zombie
- ampsoledad-art likes this
- pizza-ranch-zombie reblogged this from chichiwho
- pizza-ranch-zombie likes this
- asthedaysgobylifehappenss likes this
- chichiwho reblogged this from anindiscriminatecollection
- chichiwho likes this
- knittednoose likes this
- yung-buddha likes this
- candie-leonhardt reblogged this from thisiseverydayracism
- palmtwoclouds reblogged this from ocarinaoftime
- janeyydarling reblogged this from tryllvester
- for-ever-last likes this
- sunshineniche reblogged this from kweah
- dboogie718 likes this
- dboogie718 reblogged this from mrsminxalot and added:
- thatprettyflvcko reblogged this from tryllvester
- deathbyspirit reblogged this from awfully-distracted
- mrsminxalot reblogged this from tryllvester
- evolutia likes this
- demoiselleforseti reblogged this from tryllvester
- ocarinaoftime reblogged this from tryllvester
- tryllvester reblogged this from awfully-distracted
- tryllvester likes this
- awfully-distracted reblogged this from thisiseverydayracism
- aquazume likes this
- baccababe reblogged this from beardosophy
- baccababe likes this
- beardosophy reblogged this from anindiscriminatecollection
- katbennet reblogged this from maxinefeliceshaw
- katbennet likes this