"Glory is coming"
The Fifth Pitch decided against an April Fools prank and opted to celebrate the return of Game of Thrones into our screens instead by allocating clubs to their GoT House counterparts. London has 3 empires that looks set on tearing it to shreds, so it might be good to keep an eye on that…
Check the explanations below the drop…
Arsenal - House Stark
Stark motto: “Winter is coming”
We chose the north-dwelling Starks to be Arsenal’s parallel mainly because of the tragedy the house has endured. Arsenal too, are a classic case of cataclysm. Ned Stark was also a proud and stubborn man - something we see of Arsene Wenger all too often. The family prides itself in having close-knit relationship, also something the club attempts to engrain in their players.
The motto is clearly a dig at their ‘next season we’ll win!’ mentality.
Chelsea - House Lannister
Lannister motto: “Hear me roar”
For those of you who do watch GoT - this may be quite obvious considering the common saying associated with the Lannisters: “A Lannister always pays his debts”. It’s easy to see that what the two have in common is a very healthy bank account. But, it’s also worth noting the Lannisters, like Chelsea, are ruthless when it comes to preserving their reputation (though many would ask: what reputation?).
The motto is once again a play on their over-reliance on a never-ending bankroll.
Liverpool - House Targaryen
Targaryen motto: “Fire and blood”
It may be quite funny at first to allocate Liverpool with the exiled Targaryens but hear us out. Both Liverpool and House Targaryen are ousted from their days of glory by two successful forces (Stark and Baratheon/United and Arsenal) and still long the return of what once was. Unfortunately, they both have ran into untrustworthy partners on their attempt to the top (Gillet and Hicks/Daxos and Pree).
The motto is a playful attempt to make fun of Liverpool’s obsession with their history (and subsequently their claim to success).
Man City - House Tyrell
Tyrell motto: “Growing strong”
With the way Man City are paying left and right, it would be also appropriate to put them with the Lannisters. However, what we think is the difference in Man City is their blatant aspirations in social-climbing - the kind of thing we see the Tyrells are always doing. The Tyrells, like the Lannisters are also ruthless, though subtle. We think this is similar of Man City who try to weasle their way into power without attracting too much hatred.
The motto is a response to the obscene wages they pay their players.
Man United - House Baratheon
Baratheon motto: “Ours is the fury”
United is the team we struggled with the most. They are successful, cunning, and will do everything in their power to reach their goals. While the Baratheon are indeed successful they do not show the same malevolence as the Lannisters. However, we remembered about Stannis Baratheon and the influence Melisandre, the fire priestess, has over him. This is quite similar in the way Alex Ferguson has been alleged of manipulating the game using means outside of the sport (paying referees, etc.)
The motto is a direct comment on the deceitfulness often accused of Man United.
Spurs - House Greyjoy
Greyjoy motto: “We do not sow”
Like House Greyjoy, Spurs is the unfateful side people often understimate. Furthermore, the Greyjoys’ animosity towards Starks is nicely appropriated to the North Lodon rivalry. Spurs are seen as rather miserable, unexciting, and way past their prime. Despite this, a new and exciting generation is paving the way for a 70s era return, parallel to the activities brewing up in the Iron Islands led by Theon and Yara Greyjoy.
The motto is a cheeky dig at their reputation for being a middling club.
- culeinanfield reblogged this from guyritchies
- finalzjh likes this
- givenchyandgrace reblogged this from thefifthpitch
- ileanover likes this
- kennyyangcage likes this
- kennyyangcage reblogged this from thefifthpitch
- elisespace reblogged this from thefifthpitch
- galeriedesombres reblogged this from thefifthpitch
- angelelskunk likes this
- sexy-moo reblogged this from aggerr
- liarbarbie likes this
- guyritchies reblogged this from cescaddict
- ramblingsofalonelydreamer likes this
- lavidablaugrana likes this
- chaotic--idealist likes this
- chaotic--idealist reblogged this from vivalatarang
- vivalatarang likes this
- aggervated reblogged this from cescaddict
- vivalatarang reblogged this from cescaddict
- thomasbroich reblogged this from cescaddict
- cescaddict reblogged this from scousercarragher-
- scousercarragher- reblogged this from aggerr
- whyonearthareyoureadingthis reblogged this from aggerr
- stayawayfrommywife likes this
- thanksforallthesushi reblogged this from footballfouettes
- footballfouettes reblogged this from lindirnin
- lindirnin reblogged this from studging
- aggerr reblogged this from thefifthpitch
- studging reblogged this from forgetyourlust
- forgetyourlust reblogged this from untickld
- untickld reblogged this from thefifthpitch and added:
- darkvvolf reblogged this from afootballreport
- bowyashits reblogged this from thefifthpitch
- bastiaans reblogged this from chachacihuy
- dangereus11 likes this
- reuspan reblogged this from thefifthpitch
- swinglifeaway1999 reblogged this from thefifthpitch
- dzii likes this
- slanagusbeannacht likes this
- quatre-quatre-deux reblogged this from 12ejoueur
- hossamsh16 reblogged this from raedalshehri
- darkvvolf likes this
- hitsthefloor likes this
- legbeforewatson reblogged this from thefifthpitch
- ve-co reblogged this from cocainelil
- yaradona likes this
- iqbedul reblogged this from afootballreport
- indiexposure reblogged this from cocainelil